Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE)

Evaluating the SAE:

The SAE will graded each term based on the SAE rubric.

Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE)

All students are required to have an SAE. Teachers instruct students on these requirements. Electronic records are used to track SAE activities. All students must transfer data into the recording keeping system. Some class time is provided to update records in school, but students should update records daily.

Agriculture students are responsible for developing their own SAE based on interests and career goals. Students are also responsible for maintaining SAE records and required documents.

The program retains a list of potential volunteer opportunities and a list of SAE ideas to help all students discover opportunities. View the Outside the Box SAE presentation below for some interesting SAE ideas.

SAE is regulated by the State Department of Education and the State Department of Labor. 

NOTE: A waiver for non-paid work experience must be filed and approved by the State Department of Education in order for volunteer hours to count for SAE credit. Non-paid work experience is only eligible for SAE credit if at an official non-profit organization.

Recording & Tracking the SAE

Students must record all SAE activities. Ag students will use The Agricultural Experience Tracker website to record SAE hours: Watch this video to learn more about creating an SAE on the AET.

Trouble Logging on to The AET? Click here for instructions and/or contact an ag teacher for help.

Students should record hours on a regular basis. Teachers have access to The AET and will be checking progress.

How do I establish an SAE?

Agriculture teachers instruct students on the types of SAE programs that may be developed. Students, along with their personal support system, must develop their own SAE based on career interest. The Agriculture Program (teachers) provide instruction, guidance, and useful resources to help students.


Steps to Establishing an SAE:

  1. Take the SAE Class and/or learn about the SAE requirements
  2. Explore different SAE opportunities: research on your own, use program resources and determine an area of agriculture agricultural career
  3. Complete an SAE plan
  4. Once the SAE Plan is approved by the program, complete any required paperwork (Examples: waivers, working papers) 
  5. Once all paperwork is approved by the State Department of Education, Department of Labor, and the Agriculture Program students can start recording agriculture experience hours through (must be approved prior to recording hours). You will need to set-up an SAE plan. Watch this video to learn more.


Please, review this presentation for an Introduction to the SAE. (step 1)

Click here for a list of SAE ideas. This is useful for exploring different SAE Opportunutues. (step 2)

 Click here for a list of non-profit organizations. (step 2)

Sometimes it helps to think "Outside the Box" when developing an SAE.  Click on this presentation for creative SAE Ideas. (step 2)

Click here for SAE Plan information. (step 3)

Contact an ag teacher for required additional paperwork or click the link below for the SDE SAE manual and forms: This is not required for every SAE. (step 4)

Visit and look for information on Agricultural Careers, the SAE, and the Proficiency Award Program. (step 2)

Visit these webites for career information (step 2):

  • The Bureau of Labor and Statistics- Occupational Outlook Handbook which is online at . Great book that is available online.
  •  Career One Stop at from this page click ‘find occupations’, then under the title Career Cluster select ‘agriculture, food and natural resources’ and click ‘go’.
  • Veterinarian Career information, go to the American Veterinary Medical Association at

Contact an agriculture teacher:

Mrs. Isaacson

Ms. Russell

Mr. Kingsbury

Mrs. Thomson

NOTE: A waiver for non-paid work experience must be submitted and approved by the State Department of Education in order for volunteer hours to count for SAE credit. Non-paid work experience is only eligible for SAE credit if at an (agriculturally related) official non-profit organization. To the best of our knowledge, the opportunities listed below are potential SAE opportunities. Please, contact the agencies on your own.